Monday, October 31, 2005

Who Knew?


Who knew it was just a matter of time--
That the ticking of the clock
Would open up this heart
So my eyes could see
What I couldn't know
A moment before I knew?

Who knew it would take fifty years
For me to become me?
Fifty years was inconceivable to me
When I was thirty, and even forty-eight
I was loathe to even consider it
Until the day it occurred.

Who knew, when the time was ripe,
Just after the clock struck midnight
An owl would hoot--
For several minutes, in fact
And I would emerge from the trance
The bubble would pop
The spell would break
And I'd awaken,
Like Cinderella, with a twist,
Turning into me

Who knew it would be so easy?
When all was finally said and done
The long feared, dreaded dawning of fifty
Brought the gift of all I am
Presented with fanfare and celebration
Unequaled in my life

Who knew I was ready?
After all those years in vain
Vainly demanding to command such things
As I didn't understand
And when it arrived
It would happen in such a quiet, natural way

Who knew it would be okay?
No, so much more than okay
Excellent, fantabulous
And add awesome to that!

Who knew I would be basking in love?
From within and all around me
Alive as never before
When my day, my moment, and fifty arrived

©2005 Jodi Flesberg Lilly
www.lightinmotion.net

No comments: